Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Working at Tops

Working at a grocery store is quite the production. There are many things involved in creating a productive and friendly environment that is condusive to a good shopping experience. I run the self-checkout station at work, and this involves, I think, an extra amount of attention and proactivity. Everything must be set up for each customer once they begin their order, which is no big deal for a regular cashier, but which becomes more involving when dealing with 4 customers at once.

Before a customer even enters the area, I like to set up the bagging area more them, opening and fluffing up the bags, to make it easy for the customers to place their groceries in. This is even more useful since it prevents the customers from becoming frustrated and pulling out bags wastefully. I usually spray and clean the scanners twice during my shift, or after especially messy orders, so that the customers don't have to scan their groceries over filth.

Being attentive to each customers needs requires speed and accuracy, which I've found that many U-Scan attendants don't have. People think that all we have to do is stand at the console, fixing any errors that occur with orders, and help customers occassionally. I feel that this approach can be very discouraging for the customers to watch and deal with, as standing in one place giving instructions is very impersonal and makes the attendant seem unconcerned with them. This is why I try to keep moving, asking customers if they need any help, or assisting them with scanning. This little bit of attention and production goes a long way toward making people feel welcome and taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment